Sunday, February 11, 2007

Kingdom of Hawai'i


Between 1810 and 1893, Hawai'i was ruled by a constitutional monarchy. The Kingdom of Hawai'i came to an end when Queen Lili'uokalani was overthrown in a coup. Hawai'i is the only place on American soil where royal palaces can be found. Being the history buff that I am, I had to check some of this out...







'Iolani Palace is located in the capitol district of downtown Honolulu. It is a National Historic Landmark listed on National Register of Historic Places. Both King David Kalakaua and Queen Lili'uokalani governed from this palace.





In this photo, I'm standing in front of a statue of King Kamehameha V. The building behind us is Ali'iolani Hale, orginally intended as the royal palace for Kamehameha, but completed after he died. Today it houses the Hawai'ian State Supreme Court.










Downtown Honolulu.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Jeffy that would be so cool if I could get on the Westy with you. I still don't know where I am heading next. I'll keep you posted.